Hazel Williamson bursary
Hazel Williamson was a leading member of ASHSL (SHINE’s previous name) and was the Union List Editor for many years. She worked extensively in health libraries formerly at Glasgow Royal Infirmary and latterly at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary where she set up a brand new library within the old hospital.
Following her untimely death in 1998 the SHINE committee decided to award an annual bursary in her memory. This is to fund a SHINE member to attend a CPD event of their choice, which they might otherwise be unable to attend. The bursary is awarded each year at the AGM and covers all or part of the course fees, travel and accommodation costs. In return the bursary winner agrees to write an article for the SHINE website about the course/conference and what they have gained professionally and personally from it.
Currently the Hazel Williamson Bursary awards up to £500 on an annual basis.
- Alison Winning, Healthcare Improvement Scotland - attended Information and Records Management Society (IRMS) annual conference 2012. Alison's report.
- Donna Watson, NHS Fife - registered for an Open University course entitled 'The evolving information professional: challenges in a digital world', 2011. Donna's report.
- Karen Sinclair, NHS Grampian - attended CILIP course Strong marketing: planning for library and information units, 2010. Karen's report.
- Christine Cather, Glasgow Addiction Services - attended Strong and clear: holistic leadership, group dynamics and speak your truth, 2009. Christine's report.
- Elspeth Lee, NHS Tayside - attended Health Libraries Group conference, Cardiff, 2008. Elspeth's report.
- Kathleen Irvine, Highland Health Sciences Library - attended Well spoken: narrative in healthcare conference, Grasmere, 2007.
- Duncan Belk, Robert Gordon University student on placement at Dementia Services, Development Centre Stirling - attended Umbrella 2007, University of Hertfordshire.
- Leanne Gillick, State Hospital.
- Janice Grant, NHS Ayrshire & Arran - attended Health Libraries Group conference, Belfast, 2004.
- Alison Bogle, Health Management Library, Edinburgh - attended Netskills Internet Training Course, University of Newcastle, 2003.
- Sheila Fisken, Edinburgh Royal Infirmary - attended Health Libraries Group conference, Edinburgh, 2002.
- Lynn Easton, Argyll and Clyde Health Board - attended 1st Evidence Based Librarianship Conference, Sheffield, 2001.
- Catriona Denoon, Greater Glasgow Primary Care Trust - attended ICML (International Conference on Medical Librarianship) London, 2000.
Application forms are sent to all SHINE members before each year’s AGM and published on the SHINE website. The SHINE Committee will decide on the successful candidate who will be announced at that year’s AGM.
Applications for the 2013 Hazel Williamson prize are now open. The application form can be downloaded here.